Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:22
I would like to say something to those who joined The Family/The Children of God of their own volition and then come on this site to find friends:
1) I understand that you may have joined TF/COG when you were quite young and inexperienced.
2) I understand that the social climate in the era you joined ('60s/'70s) may have been uninhibited, liberal and you were "searching."
I would like you to, in turn, understand something about me:
1) I do not appreciate your posting on our site looking for old friends.
2) I resent the fact that you believe you are innocent of any child abuse we suffered because: a) you left before "it" began or (more likely) b) you didn't realize it was bad at the time to: spank, sexually touch, expose children to sexual situations, expose children to sexually explicit material.
3) to me, you are NOT innocent. If you left before the abuse began (and that would have to be the REAL early days of The COG) and feel like its just dandy to post on our space, it's not. You may not be an abuser but you use this space to find those that could have been. Not ok.
4) If you were an abuser but just don't feel like what you did was that bad and you should still post your "desperately seeking susan" missives here, think again.
What I have expected to see, and have not, since joining this site in 2002 is our parents/adults in TF coming onto this site in droves and posting articles about how ashamed they are/sorry for their mistakes. Why haven't I seen more of this? Why is it for every one appologetic post by someone from the older generation, there are five "I'm looking for Judah HappyChild who I knew in Hawaii in 1974"?
I think the reason why is because people are NOT SORRY. They do not internalize their children's plight. That is certainly the case with my own parents. That is the case with parents of my friends who were in TF/COG. You are all just so friggin' innocent.
Yet, the number of people posting stories of their abuse tell a different story. So, while those of you who joined TF/COG that we're all just buddies here, I would like to tell you that you are not my buddy. I don't have a high opinion of you and I don't want to read your crappy postings concerning your search for old croonies.
Thanks for reading.
(reply to this comment)