Moving On | Choose your lifeMoving On | Choose your life
Safe Passage Foundation - Support to youth raised in high demand organizations

Saturday, January 31, 2009    

Home | New Content | Statistics | Games | FAQs

Getting Support : Naturalization

can my husband apply for naturalization?

from lorenia - Tuesday, October 29, 2002
accessed 1536 times

maybe we have the oportunity for naturalization

We are a mexican family, 3 childs,my childs are american citizens because they born in usa. when my husband was a child his mother came to USA, he is a son of a single mother, my mother in law work in the USA a lot of years, but she die in an accident in chicago, my husband was in mexico with his grandmother, he was 14 years old. When his mother die she have a social security number in usa and she was working legaly, maybe he was the oportunity to apply for naturalization, and he never recieve any money for survivors, because he was a child and he is alone.Sorry about my english.Can anybody helpme to respond this?

Reader's comments on this article

Add a new comment on this article

from Rudolf
Monday, November 04, 2002 - 23:32

Lorenia, from someone who knows something about this business, it might be the case that your husband is already a United States citizen. Don't let me get your hopes up too high. A number of conditions would have to be met for that to be the case. The first is that your husband's mother would have had to have naturalized as a United States citizen sometime after his birth. It would also depend on the Immigration and Nationality Act (immigration laws) as they were constructed at the time of your husband's mother's naturalization. Unfortunately, it is impossible to tell much about your case unless you take it to someone who knows the business well. Be careful, though. There are more con artists out there than there are bona fide immigration attorneys and immigration assistants. I would suggest (if you are in the United States) you contact one of the dozens of non-profit organizations that cater to immigrants. Some good ones to start with are Catholic Charities (put your religious thoughts aside for a moment), the Legal Aid Societies (especially in the border areas), and LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens). RAZA is another good one. You can also call the American Immigration Lawyers Association and ask them for a referral. They will be happy to help you. Whatever you do, don't go to a travel agency that promises that it can get you a greencard or "papers". In some cases, they will get you what you ask for. But, down the road, if you become eligible for a REAL benefit, you will find out that you committed fraud and you won't get what you really deserve in the way of a greencard or citizenship. Be careful. Also, as someone else mentioned, check out the INS website at Check out the link to naturalization. There are some very useful questions and answers there.

One other thing. Once your children turn 21, they can sponsor you and/or your husband. If you are in the United States when they sponsor you, and IF YOU ENTERED LEGALLY, you can get your greencard here, without returning to Mexico.

Hope this has been helpful. Good luck.
(reply to this comment)
from thepersoniamnow
Monday, November 04, 2002 - 12:27

I suggest you go to
It has every form online and all you need to do is find the applicable one to you and you will probably end up saving time and money by seeing what exactly imigrations will end up asking and requiring.

(reply to this comment)
from joder!
Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 01:27

Pero tu ingles es una puta mierda! Tenias que haber buscado ese tipo de informacion en la red un poco mas, ve a, o, me parece que ahi igual encuentres lo que buscas.
(reply to this comment)
Monday, November 04, 2002, 09:58

Siento tanto que no te guste mi ingles, pero es lo mejor que puedo hacer,como quiera te agradezco la atención que pusiste a mi comentario y tu respuesta.(reply to this comment
From Heather
Monday, November 04, 2002, 10:19

Tu Ingles esta muy bien!!! Por lo menos es mejor que mi Espanol!!! Yo no se mucho acerca de tu situacion, pero, igual yo pienso que tu esposo si puede applicar. Buena suerte!!! Por cieto, alguna vez has estado en "The Family"???(reply to this comment
from XPat
Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 19:02

I am no immigration attorney, so my info may be incorrect. Being a Brit I did have to go through this process.

For a start it used to be that if the kids were American then the parents should get a citizenship. The US wised up to the fact that people were coming illegally and having kids here to get their green card and stopped the policy. I do think however that the law is not retroactive and if your kids were born before a certain date he may still be able to apply.

Also what’s your status? If you are an American he should be able to get it.

There are usually some good free legal advisors in every major city. I know the YMCA has great free advice in Houston.

One thing I would not do is be in the country illegally when you are applying. There is no amnesty for this and when you apply you risk deportation.

(reply to this comment)
Monday, November 04, 2002, 10:05

I´m not an ilegal because i live in mexico and I work in mexico, my childs study in mexican schools ,but my plans in a future is to go to USA when they need to go to the university, They born in USA because I decide that is a good future to my childs they´re excelent students.My question is if my husband can apply to naturalization, because when he was a child his mother die in USA, she was a legal person because she was working in usa legaly with a legal ss#(reply to this comment
From JoeH
Monday, November 04, 2002, 12:12

seems to me that if she had a social security number then she was probably a citizen, correct me if I'm wrong. That would make your husband's case a lot stronger. In any case, I'm sure your library has books on the subject.(reply to this comment
From Correction
Monday, November 04, 2002, 12:55

You are wrong, JoeH. Pretty much anyone in US can get a SS# and not be a US citizen at the same time.(reply to this comment
from Ian
Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 22:57



I will take your message to an immigration lawyer who is handling my wife's paperwork. Hopefully I can put you both in touch via email. I'm not sure how the law works on this issue and alot has changed since Sep. 11 last year.


(reply to this comment)
Monday, November 04, 2002, 10:07

Thanks for your help, it´s great to find people like you
Lorenia(reply to this comment
Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 22:46


(reply to this comment)
From bif-lover
Saturday, June 23, 2007, 15:15

If she was legal then you need to have the INS look up her SS# that aplication will tell them if she was legal, plus they can do a search using her SS# in there imigration data base. If it is true then your husband could be automatically be a cityzen, if so he could collect his moms social security benifits $$$$ worth looking into.(reply to this comment

My Stuff

log in here
to post or update your articles


50 user/s currently online

Web Site User Directory
5047 registered users

log out of chatroom

Happy Birthday to demerit   Benz   tammysoprano  

Weekly Poll

What should the weekly poll be changed to?

 The every so often poll.

 The semi-anual poll.

 Whenever the editor gets to it poll.

 The poll you never heard about because you have never looked at previous polls which really means the polls that never got posted.

 The out dated poll.

 The who really gives a crap poll.

View Poll Results

Poll Submitted by cheeks,
September 16, 2008

See Previous Polls

Online Stores

I think, therefore I left

Check out the Official
Moving On Merchandise
. Send in your product ideas

Free Poster: 100 Reasons Why It's Great to be a Systemite

copyright © 2001 - 2009

[terms of use] [privacy policy] [disclaimer] [The Family / Children of God] [contact:] [free speech on the Internet blue ribbon] [About the Trailer Park] [Who Links Here]