Moving On | Choose your lifeMoving On | Choose your life
Safe Passage Foundation - Support to youth raised in high demand organizations

Saturday, January 31, 2009    

Home | New Content | Statistics | Games | FAQs

Getting On : Health

Reader's comments on this article

Add a new comment on this article

from Shackled
Friday, June 25, 2004 - 19:04


Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with some of the terminology but once I get there I'm sure it won't be too hard.
(reply to this comment)

from Big Sister
Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 21:11


When I was in college and grad school I didn't have dental insurance. I went to a dental school where, for a low fee, I could get my teeth maintained while the student dentists practiced on me. A professor overlooked all the procedures and so the only draw back was that it was far slower than a regular dentist. On the up side, besides being cheap, I got to learn a lot about dentistry.
(reply to this comment)

from exister
Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 08:51

The de facto standard now is for colleges to provide you with insurance and bill you for the premiums with your tuition. Typically it's $100-$200 for a six month policy, which isn't too bad. They get a group discount and they insure a fairly low risk population, so the costs aren't too high. The catch is that you are usually locked in to the college clinic which can then refer you out if you need a specialist. Be sure to read the fine print.
(reply to this comment)
From Regi
Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 12:45

Where do you go to school? My premium's about 400 for six months and it's just accident and illness insurance. Luckily, students usually have access to decent healthcare at their university's health center.(reply to this comment
From exister
Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 13:30

That sounds about right. I'm sure premiums have gone up since I went to school.(reply to this comment
from Nick
Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 08:03

Thats a hard question to answer as there are so so many variables. What kind of insurance do you want? Will you be able to get it through your employer if you are employed? Do you just want emergency coverage or do you want to be covered for every doctors visit you take? Do you want a annual deductable and how much do you want your copay to be?

If you are employed you can usually get subsidized insurance through your employer through a PPO or a HMO and for a single person it's probably about $90 a month with a $10 to $20 co pay per visit and a $75 ER co pay.

If you are a student you may just want to get a cheep emergency insurance that you can usually get through your school. It's a few bucks a month and will cover you in case of a serious ER visit but wont cover you for every day doctors visits. If you do need a doctor visit for something simple you can usually find a local doctor that charges around $40 to $60 for a consultation and thats a hell of a lot cheaper than $100 a month of your like me and only use your doc for sick notes when you are to hung over to go to work.
(reply to this comment)
From itsxena2u
Saturday, June 26, 2004, 10:18


I think it all depends on the employer and the insurance company they've got. At my last job we had insurance through CIGNA. The company only paid for 50% of our health benefits, so I had to shell out about $135 a month (coverage just for myself) for PPO plus but on the flip side, my deductible was only $200, my out-of-pocket-limit was $1500, my copay was $20, 100 for ER and $10 for brand name medications. Whereas the job I have now, the company has insurance through BLUE CROSS/BLUE SHIELD and although they pay 75% of the employees benefits, my annual deductible is $1000, out-of-pocket-limit is $2000, co-pays are $25 and brand name medications are $30!

I do not know about insurance benefits that schools provide and what kind of a package they offer. I pay a considerable amount in insurance because I have AD&D (accidental death & dismemberment), LTD (long term dissability) additional life insurance as well as vision and dental.

The type of package you decide depends on what your needs are and what you consider important and valuable to you. I for one have added "uninsured motorist" to the full coverage on my vehicle because there are so many foreigners in the state where I live that either can't afford insurance, don't think its important to have any or just plain don't even have a driver's license. I also have flood/hurricane coverage on my home owner's insurance as well because it floods a lot where I live. I guess you could say I'm pretty well covered! Too bad there isn't any insurance for "broken hearts". Oh well, I guess I'll just have to sue for emotional distress then! ;-p(reply to this comment

My Stuff

log in here
to post or update your articles


72 user/s currently online

Web Site User Directory
5047 registered users

log out of chatroom

Happy Birthday to demerit   Benz   tammysoprano  

Weekly Poll

What should the weekly poll be changed to?

 The every so often poll.

 The semi-anual poll.

 Whenever the editor gets to it poll.

 The poll you never heard about because you have never looked at previous polls which really means the polls that never got posted.

 The out dated poll.

 The who really gives a crap poll.

View Poll Results

Poll Submitted by cheeks,
September 16, 2008

See Previous Polls

Online Stores

I think, therefore I left

Check out the Official
Moving On Merchandise
. Send in your product ideas

Free Poster: 100 Reasons Why It's Great to be a Systemite

copyright © 2001 - 2009

[terms of use] [privacy policy] [disclaimer] [The Family / Children of God] [contact:] [free speech on the Internet blue ribbon] [About the Trailer Park] [Who Links Here]